Ulrike Friedrich (DLR)
Ulrike is project manager for DLR parabolic flights (ESA operates a similar campaign).
(Shows picture of happy person in flight) “This is a picture of a very happy woman – she’s a scientist, from the Technical University Darmstadt, in a parabolic flight…”
- Flights offer 22 seconds of microgravity
- 31 parabolas per flight in three or four to five day campaigns
- Uses the 40-year-old Airbus “Zero-G” – in very good condition!
- In comparison, sounding rockets offer 6-12 mins, while drop towers offer 4-9 seconds (payloads can also go onto satellites, ISS or Chinese station).
Research areas include:
- Fundamental physics
- Fluid dynamics
- Human physiology, diagnosis, therapy
- Gravity, radiation
+ much more!