With less than one day until Rosetta deploys Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, here is a set of images to compare the size of the comet with a few cities across Europe.
Let’s start with Darmstadt, Germany, home to ESA’s European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) where the international media event following the comet landing is taking place this week.
Other European cities close to ESA’s establishments are also featured below:
- Paris, France, home to ESA’s Headquarters;
- Amsterdam, close to the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in Noordwijk, The Netherlands;
- Rome, close to ESA’s centre for Earth observation (ESRIN) in Frascati, Italy;
- Madrid, close to the European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) at Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain;
- London, close to European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT) in Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK.