Editor’s note: These brief extracts are paraphrased from live webcast and may not be fully correct.
JAXA’s ISS Utilisation Strategy
Makato Asashima, AIST/Japan
Download the full presentation slides: ISS/Kibo Utilization Strategy in Japan
- JAXA’s Kibo research module projects will focus on life science, space medicine and physical/chemical science.
- Life sciences on Kibo will research life from small to large progressively: from cellular research to microbes to vertebrates to mammals to humans by 2020.
- Space medicine will focus on research to improve health care technology.
- Long term targets for chemical science are to contribute to new combustion systems and the science of bubbles, droplets and films.
- Short term targets include researching soft materials of benefit for Earth.
- An announcement of opportunity was announced and research will be chosen based on utilisation objectives.