Editor’s note: These brief extracts are paraphrased from live webcast and may not be fully correct.
Closing Session: ‘Future Perspectives and Closing Remarks’
Thomas Reiter, ESA Director of Human Spaceflight & Operations
- This symposium has once more highlighted the success of ISS.
- There is every possibility to continue research on ISS.
- Our research objectives are interrelated. The science on ISS addresses issues for astronauts but the main focus is definitely for people on Earth.
- We will see an increased scientific return in the coming years.
- Research on the ISS is institutionally funded. We should engage industry to use ISS for research.
- Investment in space is recognised as having economic benefits and this is even more important in times of financial stress.
- All the best in the future, the ISS symposium 2012 is now concluded.