Editor’s note:These brief extracts are paraphrased from live webcast and may not be fully correct.
Download the full presentation: Research Overview of the International Space Station Partnership
Dr Julie Robinson is ISS Programme Scientist at NASA.
ISS Research Benefits
- Amazing engineering achievement. First years of full utilisation. The collaboration with all partners is great, science is internationals as knowledge knows no borders.
- The days ahead will be full of breakthrough discoveries. Many presentations are not fit for written publication [yet].
- 1251 investigations begun by different members of our partnership. We can now treat gravity as a variable and no longer as a constant.[flickr float=”right” size=”small”]7136091495[/flickr]
- Discovery: The first direct observation of a star being swallowed by a black hole was captured by the MAXI payload.
Examples of exploration
- Materials; new environments requires finding the right materials to protect our bodies.
- Earth benefits: CSA brain surgery via robotics
- Testing new applications before building full satellites: ship monitoring.
- Education: motivating children to continue careers in science via ARISS.