It is now six months since the DC11 overwinter crew arrived at Concordia Station. Here are some collected thoughts about their experience so far…
Was it as you expected?
- Nothing like it!
- It is even better than I could have imagined.
- Having never been in this environment before it is difficult to say. One thing I have enjoyed most is to see a completely dark sky and hopefully we will see some Auroras soon
Best experience so far in Antarctica:
- My journey from Hobart to the Antarctic coast by boat (The Astrolabe)
- My birthday here
- Luca’s cooking
- Beautiful sunsets
- Crewmember ‘Maestro’s’ style
- Being surprised at what I found here
- Going up the 40 m high American Tower
- A great crew
- Incorrect first impressions
- All the crew are very friendly
- Open mind and availability of all of the crew
- Amount of natural phenomena we observe
- How good the crew is
Most-enjoyed ESA tests:
- Cognition test
- Video diary COALA
- The balloon-popping part of the cognition test
- Fainting during a blood test!
- Eye test
How would you improve the ESA Tests?
- Have a bed nearby when doing the blood test
- Less tests
- More surprises
- Design tests in conjunction with the crew or with people who have overwintered here.
What do you miss the most from Europe:
- Outdoor activities
- Freedom to travel
- The forest
- I looked forward to live at Dome C, and I am looking forward to going back, but not too quickly
Did the training you received prepare you? Why?
- I enjoyed training at the European Astronaut Centre. It made me consider the potential challenges I may face, how I could deal with them and potentially avoid them.
- Yes! It was great to get to know each other before arriving
- I think the target was not centered on the persons and personalities. Fortunately no problems or issues have appeared here (so far)
Based on your experience here, would you come back to Concordia?
- This is already my second time!
- I would like to return for a Summer campaign
- I would like to go to Dome A (Concordia station is based at Dome C)
- I will make my mind up at the end of the year!
- Probably not but I have enjoyed this years’ experience
What do you think you will miss most about Dome C when returning home?
- JP’s coffee
- The DC 11 crew
- Playing music in the Concordia band (with the Maestro!)
- DC 11 crew