Martin Zell is responsible for European science exploitation and utilisation on the ISS.
- Research outside the ISS: long-term radiation monitoring
- Inside: ESA’s Columbus lab has been in use now for several years
- Results: ESA has completed ~220 investigations to date on the ISS
- Some experiments run for years before concluding!
- Topics range from biology and bio-technology to earth/space, human research and education
- “We do very well considering we only have 8% of the ISS”
Human research – targets future long-term voyages in space and how space science can assist earth diagnoses and cures
- Cardio, vascular, physiology
- Nano properties of fuels and liquids; sea water
- Casting of metals, turbine blades, metallic foams
… and much more